Friday, August 15, 2008

Do I really live here or I am having an incredible dream?

So much has happened since I wrote my first blog and I would apologize for not writing sooner, but I don't think any of you have seen my blog yet anyway. :P
Well, the Olympics started over a week ago now and we were so excited to get to see the openings. I did not get to see the Opening Ceremonies (something that makes me very sad), but I did see the opening for the Sailing Events in person. It was incredible. We sat on the grass (something unheard of in China...there is little grass and it is very protected) and watched so many fireworks that the sky turned black with smoke. It was incredible fun even though we sat on the grass for about 3 hours waiting for the fireworks to start. We also met many other foreigners and really enjoyed talking to them. There was one couple there who had a young baby and we played with him for a while...however, Western children are so highly regarded in China that there was a group around the couple and there son about 5 people deep at one point. It was insane.
School also started this week. I love my kids and I love my class. I feel like an actual teacher instead of an inexperienced child when I am leading my own class. I love it! I only had four kids in my class on Wednesday (the smallest class in the school) and the next day it jumped to a startling 5 children. :P I have another little girl coming this week and another girl coming the middle of September. So, I will finally make it up to 7 children. And they get through everything (with the exception of drawing....which they do very very well) entirely too quickly. I need to start over-planning in hopes that I won't bore them to death.
So, we still have no internet in our apartment....the reason that I haven't written in so long...but we are still trying very hard to get it. We came to Starbucks early this morning so that we could get on the internet and I spent a lot of time just catching up with friends as American coffee buzzed through my veins.....its been a good morning. I even got to talk to my mother which made everything even better.
Well, it's time to go shopping...We currently have no food in our house. Please talk to Dad about school. It's going so well so far and it is our hope that things will continue that way. I love you all so much and I miss you so much it hurts!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Miss Keller! so good to hear updates :-) It's so neat that you are close to the Olympics

I will definitely be talking to Dad a lot about you this semester:-)

Unknown said...

My Amy dearest!!! I love reading your blog :) As school is starting here I keep looking for you and others but then sadly have to remind myself that you are not coming to dinner. I myself am off to a great start. I've already slept so long that I missed Dr. B this morning and then missed the mandatory beginning of the year meeting with our RA. My day still went great! Hopefully tomorrow will not only be good but I will be on time to everything. well I need to find my RA and explain things. Hopefully I won't have to pay a fine : ) Love you bunches!!!