Friday, February 27, 2009

Wow, it has been a very long time since I have posted anything and much has happened. I'm sorry I haven't been better about keeping this blog up.
During the last month my class has been studying penguins. Everything has been penguins. We finally finished up the unit this last Friday and had a penguin party and took a penguin field trip. For the field trip the other second grade teacher and I took the kids to a place called Polar Ocean World. Here the students got to see penguins up close and personal. They loved it and there was much screaming.

Last Monday we started a unit on space. The kids have been so excited to learn new things. I have had the opportunity to very briefly introduce discussions about molecules, solar energy, and other difficult topics. It is very hard, but very fun to try and explain to kids why the combination if helium and hydrogen atoms makes the sun hot. However, I am really looking forward to continuing to feed the curiosity of such bright children.
Outside of school things have not been quite as smooth, but still worth the experience. Over Chinese New Year break my roommates decided to paint our apartment. We spent 6 days on this endeavor between the three of us and painted four rooms in our house. It looks so much more like home now. I love it. Here is a couple pictures of our work.
Here is my newly redone room.
Here is our living room.Here is the other wall in our living room.Here is a picture of Kayla's room. I don't know why, but I have no completed pictures of Karen's finished room. Her room is sea blue and the same brown in the above picture. It also looks excellent.
The past month has also not been without its bumps and bruises because I found out yesterday that my favorite aunt, Aunt Theona, has gone to be with our Father. I'm not sure what to do with the news. In normal circumstances I would head home and be with my family during this hard time, but being in China has made that option essentially impossible. I am very encouraged by the support of those around me as I keep trying to just stand and go about life. Please be talking to Dad for my family. They need your thoughts right now.
I'll post more later, but now I have made myself cry. I love you all!

No comments: